The key to perfect Chicken Pad Thai is in the cooking of the noodles. Cook them just enough so that they are chewy-perfect. When this gluten free dinner dish is all put together, you will understand why pad Thai is so popular in our household.
This recipe is a fast and easy version of traditional chicken pad thai, but maintains the authentic taste, using gluten free ingredients.
Chicken Pad Thai
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari *gluten free
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey *watch for gluten
- ½ cup shallots diced
- 1 cup carrots spiralized or julienned
- 2 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 package rice noodles *gluten free
- ¼ cup peanuts unsalted & crushed
- 1 lime quartered
- ½ cup green onion diced
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until it is fully cooked through and juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from pan and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, tamari, peanut butter, and honey.
- Return the sliced chicken to your skillet over low heat.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and rice noodles.
- Pour the sauce over top and toss to coat.
- Divide the pad thai between 4 plates and garnish each serving with crushed peanuts and green onion.
- Serve with lime wedges for squeezing on more flavour.
Recipe Tips & Notes
There are a great variety of rice noodle options on the market, but of course we always need to watch for hidden gluten. A popular option we enjoy is the Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Stir Fry Rice Noodles available at Walmart. Just toss them with your favourite sauce or stir-fry them with any meat or vegetable for a quick and delicious meal. Easy to cook rice noodles that will add the traditional Asian stir-fry taste and texture you’ve been craving. Gluten free and vegan, their noodles are steamed, not fried.
With the slippery chewy noodles, signature sweet-savoury flavours, sprinkle of peanuts and tang of lime, this is a gluten free Thai food favourite for good reason! If you’ve been disappointed by basic Pad Thai recipes in the past, this one delivers that flavour punch we know you miss. It truly stacks up to your favourite Thai takeout – except less oily than takeout!