Ready to start making the perfect gluten free white cake, completely from scratch? This gluten free cake recipes provides a fluffy, snow white gluten free cake that is soft & light, but sturdy enough to cover in decorations or stack in layers.
An easy to make from scratch white cake, that is delicious and perfect for everyone to enjoy. Even if you have never beaten egg whites before, this gluten free dessert recipe will make it worth learning how.
Gluten Free White Cake | Classic Birthday Cake Recipe
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs large
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 6 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Grease and flour two 8×8 inch pans or line a muffin pan with paper liners
- In a stand mixer or using an electric mixer, beat butter on medium-low speed until creamy.
- Add sugar and oil and beat until all ingredients are well-combined and creamy.
- Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and stir in vanilla extract.
- In separate bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt
- With mixer on medium speed, gradually alternate between adding the gluten free flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the gluten free flour mixture.
- Stir until each one is almost completely combined before adding the next.
- In separate bowl combine egg whites and using a hand-mixer on high-speed beat until stiff peaks form
- Using a spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so that ingredients are well-combined, and avoid over-mixing
- Evenly divide cake batter into prepared pans or muffin cups
- Bake on 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake layer comes out clean or with few crumbs, cakes will be a light golden brown when done baking
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 15 minutes, remove from pans and let cool completely before decorating.
How to Beat Egg Whites to Stiff Peaks for Gluten Free White Cake Recipe
Separate egg whites and yolks in a separate bowl first. Even the smallest amount of yolk can ruin egg whites and keep them from reaching stiff peaks. Place egg whites in a clean and grease free bowl.
Stiff peaks are formed when the egg whites have increased in volume. Reaching stiff peaks will take several minutes, keep beating and you will see them start to stiffen in shape! if you pull a beater straight out of the mixture, and a peak forms that does not recede back into itself — it holds its shape. You’ve made egg whites. Once you reach this point, stop beating, as it is possible to over-beat egg whites.
How can this GF White Cake be made into cupcakes?
Easily done! Fill each cupcake or muffin liner approximately ¾ full and bake on 350F for about 18 – 20 minutes.
This gluten free recipe will yield approximately 30 standard sized gluten free white cupcakes.
I think this is a real great recipe. Thanks Again. So simple to make!
I am impressed with this recipe, I am a fan.
My daughter LOVED her beautiful cake for her birthday! This was her first one as a celiac, and the rest of the family couldn’t believe it was gluten free. Look forward to trying other recipes of yours.
Made this into cupcakes, wow so delicious! Great texture, not too crumbly, moist. Perfect cake batter recipe for cupcakes!