Gluten Free Banana Bread | Great as Banana Muffins Too!
- 2 cups all purpose flour (gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 3/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C)
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no gluten free flour pockets remain.
- Beat in the mashed bananas, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Fold in additional ingredients (walnuts, chocolate chips, etc)
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Loosely cover the bread with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to help prevent the top and sides from getting too brown.
- A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
- Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Use this gluten free banana bread recipe to make banana bread muffins. Pour the batter into a lined or greased muffin pan and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C) then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an additional 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total bake time for the banana bread muffins is about 22-23 minutes. The initial burst of hot air helps rise nice and tall!