Missing banana bread in your gluten free menu? Don’t miss out anymore! Enjoy an easy and moist Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe that is loaded with bananas!
Moisture is key when it comes to creating a delicious gluten free banana bread! The ratio of gluten free flour to banana makes all the difference. If you use too much flour, you’ll end up with dry, crumbly bread. If you don’t use enough, your bread will be too wet.
The best bananas for this recipe aren’t yellow; they’re black, or at least streaked with black/brown, with just the barest hint of green at the stem. The darker the banana, the better! There is no such thing as a too-ripe banana when you’re making banana anything.
Gluten Free Banana Bread | Great as Banana Muffins Too!
- 2 cups all purpose flour gluten free
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 stick softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon optional
- ¾ cup walnuts optional
- ¾ cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C)
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no gluten free flour pockets remain.
- Beat in the mashed bananas, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Fold in additional ingredients (walnuts, chocolate chips, etc)
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Loosely cover the bread with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to help prevent the top and sides from getting too brown.
- A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
- Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Use this gluten free banana bread recipe to make banana bread muffins. Pour the batter into a lined or greased muffin pan and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C) then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an additional 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total bake time for the banana bread muffins is about 22-23 minutes. The initial burst of hot air helps rise nice and tall!
This recipe is simple to make and our favourite way to use up overripe bananas, so they never go to waste. It’s super moist and makes a great breakfast on-the-go. We even create into Banana Muffins from this recipe often too. This banana loaf stays moist for days and also makes for a thoughtful and delicious Celiac gift idea for the holidays.
Some thing to remember when baking Gluten Free Fruit Breads, the more you mix your batter, the more gluten is developing in the bread – which is great for a yeast-risen, chewy loaf, but not so great when you’re hoping for a tender, soft quick bread. An overmixed banana bread batter will result in a dense, rubbery loaf. Let your batter sit in the fridge for minimum 30 minutes before baking.
Gluten Free Banana Bread Mixes
Prefer something a little easier? Simple Mills Gluten Free Banana Muffin & Bread Baking Mix is a good solution for simplifying your banana baking needs!
This mix offers real banana flavour from real bananas and can make up to 12 muffins or 1 loaf per box. Simple doesn’t mean you sacrifice taste; their wholesome gluten free flour blend is powered by nuts & seeds. Simple Mills baking mixes are “free from” but full of deliciousness!