Soon to be the Best Gluten Free Chili Recipe made in your home. Using a traditional chili recipe structure, just like mom used to make, including ground beef, beans, and a simple homemade blend of seasonings.
This classic gluten free recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal, made in minutes in the morning and set to cook all day, or less than an hour in the evening on the stovetop!
Don’t forget to watch for hidden gluten in those spices & seasonings.
Gluten Free Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef extra lean
- 1 lb ground pork extra lean
- 3 sausages chopped
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- 1 can pinto beans drained
- 1 can black beans
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 medium carrot cubed
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup mushrooms minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin ground
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper ground
- Add olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lower to medium heat, brown meats in soup pot.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Stir until well combined.
- Turn crock-pot on low heat and transfer meat mixture into crock-pot.
- Add drained & rinsed beans and crushed tomatoes.
- Add vegetables.
- Cook on low for 6-8hrs and serve.
Recipe Tips & Notes
This easy gluten free recipe cooks on the stovetop easily too! Follow the instructions as above, adding everything into a large soup pot, cooking on medium to low heat for 30-45minutes.
Looking for a flavour boost? By adding seasonings into the raw ground meats before cooking, this will help ensure every morsel is seasoned to perfection. You can increase or reduce the spice level to your liking. For extra heat, add a few dashes of hot sauce or a sprinkle of hot chili flakes.
What can you top gluten free chili with?
Your imagination if your limitation! Some of our favourite things to have as toppings with this recipe include shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, and of course gluten free baguettes.
Can You Freeze Gluten Free Chili?
Like most crockpot recipes, this gluten free recipe freezes and reheats beautifully. We often freeze in single portions for quick meals or in freezer containers for a future quick and easy weeknight meal.
Defrost in the fridge overnight and heat in a saucepan (or the microwave) to serve.
Are Chili Beans and Kidney Beans Gluten Free?
Many beans are naturally gluten free, including kidney beans. Some additional gluten free beans include, but are not limited to: black beans, navy beans, red beans, pinto beans, lima beans, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans/chickpeas, soy beans, green beans, etc.
Which Seasoning Mix is Gluten Free?
Sometimes having an easier option for seasonings is necessary, and thankfully there are Gluten Free Chili Seasonings now available.
McCormick Gluten-Free Chili Seasoning Mix offers a zesty blend of authentic seasonings, including chili peppers, that makes preparing this recipe a snap.
Another option is the Certified Gluten Free Club House Chili Seasoning, that is made with 25% less salt and without the gluten.
Want to make a gluten free tex-mex chili? Toss in a packet of gluten free taco seasoning. Spice up your recipe any way you’d like!