Homemade Apple Pie is easier than you think with this gluten free dessert recipe idea. This gluten free apple pie filling recipe is scrumptious and equally as simple to make!
Pair it with our gluten free pie crust, and this recipe will come together quickly, requiring common ingredients many of us with Celiac Disease have on hand.
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- 1 double pie crust recipe linked below
- 2 ¼ lbs Granny Smith Apples peeled and cored
- 1 ½ teaspoons Cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose gluten free flour
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425˚F
- Whisk in 3 Tbsp gluten free flour then simmer for 1 minute, whisking constantly
- Whisk in 1/4 cup water, 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and continue simmering 3 minutes, whisking frequently then remove from heat
- Sprinkle the top with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and toss to combine
- Pour the sauce over the apples and stir to coat the apple slices
- Sprinkle your work surface with gluten free flour and roll out bottom pie crust to a 12" diameter circle
- Add apple mixture, mounding slightly in the center and being careful not to get the filling on the edges
- Roll second crust into an 11" round and place on top of apple pie filling
- Beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water and brush the top with egg mixture
- Bake at 425˚F in the center of the oven for 15 minutes
- Reduce the heat to 350˚F and continue baking another 45 minutes or until apples are soft and filling is bubbling through the vents
- Rest at room temp 1 hour before serving
Recipe Tips & Notes
Making your own gluten free apple pie should never be intimidating. This tutorial on how to make your own homemade pie crust makes it easy! We’ve tried this crust with both sweet and savoury pie dishes, always with great success every time.
Searching for an all-purpose gluten free flour? Find a great selection of APGFF options online including Cup4Cup, Bob’s Red Mill and more. The all-purpose gluten free flour you choose will play a big roll in the flavour of your crusts, so take the time to find something you love.
Try out our delicious Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe too!