Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups apples (peeled, cored, and diced apples)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 tablespoons butter (unsalted, melted and cooled)
- 1 cup sour cream (substitute Greek yogurt if preferred)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease or line the wells of a standard 12-cup muffin tin and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Whisk to combine well.
- In a separate, medium-size bowl, place the diced apples and mix with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cornstarch.
- Add about 2/3 of the apple mixture to the large bowl of dry ingredients, and toss to coat.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, sour cream, eggs and vanilla, mixing to combine after each addition. (expect a thick batter)
- Fill the prepared wells of the muffin tin all the way - level tops with wet finger/spoon
- Scatter the tops with a few pieces of the remaining apple mixture each, and press gently to help the apples adhere.
- Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake until lightly golden brown all over and firm to the touch, approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.