Offering crisp edges with thick centers and the foundation for smooth decorating icing, these soft gluten free sugar cookies will be loved by all. Using favourite cookie cutters and luxurious royal icings, every holiday can include sugar cookies at the dessert table.
Enjoy an irresistible buttery vanilla flavour or add extra touches like cinnamon, maple, almond and more. Bake ahead and freeze these gluten free sugar cookies for every occasion.
Gluten Free Sugar Cookies | Cut-Out Cookie Dough
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum exclude if GF flour blend contains
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- lukewarm water as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and whisk to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, blend butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Combine wet with dry mixture.
- Add water by the half-teaspoonful and mix it in as necessary to bring the dough together.
- Chill for an hour or overnight.
Forming Cut-Out Cookies
- Place the plain dough between two sheets of unbleached parchment paper and roll out the dough about 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thick.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and cut out shapes using a floured cookie cutter.
- Transfer the rounds to the prepared baking sheet, placing them about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the preheated oven and bake until lightly golden brown on the edges and firm to the touch (about 12 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet before serving.
Recipe Tips & Notes
These gluten free cut-out sugar cookies remain soft because we recommend rolling them out to about 1/4 inch thick or just under 1/4 inch thick. This is on the thicker side and helps produce that extra thick, soft cookie. Not interested in rolling out cookie dough? Make as drop cookies and press instead!
Room temperature butter is essential for this gluten free cut-out cookie recipe. Room temperature butter is cool to the touch. If the dough is too sticky, the butter may have been too soft.
Searching for an all-purpose gluten free flour? Find a great selection of APGFF options online including Cup4Cup, Bob’s Red Mill and more. The all-purpose gluten free flour you choose will play a big roll in the flavour of your crusts, so take the time to find something you love.
Special Kitchen Tool Recommendations for Making Cut-Out Cookies
When making cookies, the easier it is, the better. Using a handheld or counter-top electric mixer is beneficial. Some additional gluten free kitchen essentials include Silicone Baking Mats, Parchment Paper, Edgeless Baking Sheets, Rolling Pins (adjustable), Cookie Cutters (of course), and Disposable Piping Bags.
Can Gluten Free Sugar Cookies Be Frozen?
Plain or decorated cookies freeze well up to 3-6 months. It is recommended to let the icing set completely before layering between parchment sheets in a freezer-friendly container.