Our best gluten free stuffing, also known as gluten free dressing, is made with a rich, savoury, homemade turkey broth. The richer, the better. That turkey’s flavour is what you want!
Using your favourite gluten free bread and holiday spices, enjoy this moist and fluffy holiday classic, whatever you choose to call it!
Gluten Free Stuffing | Christmas & Thanksgiving Easy Dressing Recipe
- 10 cups gluten free bread cubed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 large yellow onions diced
- 4 large celery stalks diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup sage leaves finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups turkey broth chicken/vegetable
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 225°F.
- Spread the bread cubes on a large, rimmed baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake until quite crisp, stirring every 30 minutes, about 90 minutes total.
- After removing the bread from the oven, turn up the oven temperature to 375°F.
Cook in Skillet
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sage and thyme and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
Back to Bread
- Transfer the toasted bread to a large bowl.
- Add the onion mixture and fold to combine.
- Place the broth, eggs, and salt in a separate medium bowl, season with a generous amount of pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Pour over the bread & onion mixture and stir until evenly combined.
Prepare to Bake
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch or 3-quart baking dish.
- Transfer the bread mixture into the baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the top.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until the top is golden-brown, about 15 minutes more.
- Let the dressing cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Our traditional gluten free stuffing recipe is made from scratch and is one of our best gluten free dinner recipes. We love the savoury aromatics that are perfect for a Thanksgiving feast or served as a side dish any night of the week.
This recipe is always apart of our Gluten Free Christmas Dinner Menu! This is that one dish we could never miss. It is a super simple, totally basic, perfect for any kitchen skill level to enjoy making. It has minimal ingredients and is so simple to make, everything you could ask for in a classic gluten free dressing recipe.
The Best Bread for Gluten Free Stuffing
When it comes to choosing the best bread for making gluten free stuffing, we stick with basic dried sandwich bread. Little Northern Bakehouse offers a great Gluten Free White Wide Slice Bread that does the best job of absorbing all the seasonings and flavours.
Did you know “dressing” is more commonly known as a Southern thing, while “stuffing” tends to be more recognized in the North.
Can you omit the egg from your recipe?
The eggs act as a binder with helping hold the dressing mixture together. If you’d prefer to replace with the binder you commonly use in substitution of eggs, we can not guarantee how our recipe will function as hoped.
Is there packaged gluten free stuffing?
If you’re not up for from scratch, there is an easier gluten free solution! Try Olivia’s Gluten Free Rosemary & Sage Stuffing, they haven’t forgotten their gluten free friends! Now everyone can enjoy gluten free dressing at the holidays.