Gluten Free BBQ Pulled Chicken is jam packed full with flavour and the king of make-ahead gluten free dinner recipes. Pull out your slow cookers & crockpots to prepare this delicious twist on BBQ Pulled Chicken. This reinterpretation of pulled pork still slow-cooks, but with chicken in lots of tangy yet sweet sauce.
Throw the chicken breasts in from frozen if pinched for time, and serve with baked sweet potatoes.
Turn this gluten free BBQ pulled chicken recipe into an unbelievable GF sandwich with sliced jalapenos, sliced red onions and some sour cream or serve it on mashed potatoes.
Gluten Free BBQ Pulled Chicken | Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipe
- 3 lbs boneless chicken skinless breasts, trimmed of fat
- 1 ½ cups BBQ Sauce
- ½ medium onion grated (with juice)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Stir together all sauce ingredients in a 5-6 qt slow cooker.
- Add chicken breasts and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 – 7 hours.
- Chicken is done when cooked through and easy to shred
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred each breast using two forks.
- Place shredded chicken back in the crock pot and stir to coat with the BBQ sauce
How to pull apart chicken breast?
Pulling the chicken breast apart is easier than you think; you can use:
- Forks: hold a fork in each hand, and pull the chicken apart into small strips and chunks
- Stand Mixer: place the chicken in a bowl and mix on a low speed using the paddle attachment.
- Hand Mixer: same as a stand mixer, place chicken in a bowl and use beaters to slowly shred chicken.
- By Hand: after the chicken cools, use your hands to pull apart the chicken. This method is the easiest way to control the size of the chicken shreds.
This pulled chicken recipe can also make delicious tortilla wraps, tacos, and more!
Easy to prep before and pop into the slow-cooker whenever you are ready. You can even prep it and freeze it for the future! You don’t have to have a grill to make this — the same flavours can be achieved with a crockpot as well!
Searching for gluten free bun recommendations? Try Schar Hamburger Buns!