Gluten Free BBQ Pulled Chicken is jam packed full with flavour and the king of make-ahead gluten free dinner recipes. Pull out your slow cookers & crockpots to prepare this delicious twist on BBQ Pulled Chicken. This reinterpretation of pulled pork still slow-cooks, but with chicken in lots of tangy yet sweet sauce.
Throw the chicken breasts in from frozen if pinched for time, and serve with baked sweet potatoes.
Turn this gluten free BBQ pulled chicken recipe into an unbelievable GF sandwich with sliced jalapenos, sliced red onions and some sour cream or serve it on mashed potatoes.
Gluten Free BBQ Pulled Chicken | Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipe
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 1 ½ cups BBQ Sauce
- ½ medium onion grated (with juice)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Stir together all sauce ingredients in a 5-6 qt slow cooker.
- Add chicken breasts and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 – 7 hours.
- Chicken is done when cooked through and easy to shred
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred each breast using two forks.
- Place shredded chicken back in the crock pot and stir to coat with the BBQ sauce
How to pull apart chicken breast?
Pulling the chicken breast apart is easier than you think; you can use:
- Forks: hold a fork in each hand, and pull the chicken apart into small strips and chunks
- Stand Mixer: place the chicken in a bowl and mix on a low speed using the paddle attachment.
- Hand Mixer: same as a stand mixer, place chicken in a bowl and use beaters to slowly shred chicken.
- By Hand: after the chicken cools, use your hands to pull apart the chicken. This method is the easiest way to control the size of the chicken shreds.
This pulled chicken recipe can also make delicious tortilla wraps, tacos, and more!
Easy to prep before and pop into the slow-cooker whenever you are ready. You can even prep it and freeze it for the future! You don’t have to have a grill to make this — the same flavours can be achieved with a crockpot as well!
Searching for gluten free bun recommendations? Try Schar Hamburger Buns!
Thanks-a-mundo for the recipe. Much thanks again. So Fantastic. Bernette
So glad you liked it Bernette! Thank you for sharing your review with us 🙂
This recipe was a wonderful surprise! When I think of pulled anything, it is pulled pork. Using chicken was even better!
Best wishes. Aaren Reggis
Even though this is more of a summer time type meal, it was so great to have after a long rainy week. Will be enjoying again and again!
We’ve now tried this recipe a few times and always a delicious dinner. 4 stars because it was a bit liquidy but we think that was our own fault (too much liquid added, not enough meat!)
This was absolutely delicious!
As soon as I found this recipe I went on reddit to share some of the love with everyone! Delicious
Made this for V-Day, last night. It was great!
Absolutely delicious! I would give this one 10 stars!
I cooked on low for 10hrs and then shredded, keeping it on warm for a couple more hours. I am seriously keeping this recipe forever. This is the perfect weekend bbq/potluck food and went great with grilled corn on the cob!
You can’t stop eating this.
Our family is headed to the northshore of Minnesota to gorgeous resort this summer. I will be making this for our first family vacation since the pandemic. And yes, I will pack my slow cooker. Thank you for your awesome recipes! Everyone LOVES this BBQ chicken!