Shepherds Pie is a delicious mealtime classic. That saucy, deeply flavourful filling, with a creamy potato topping, and that awesome golden cheese crust. It is the sort of food that brings a smile to everyone’s face!
Ready to enjoy Gluten Free Shepherds Pie? Make it in under an hour with this easy, homemade, celiac friendly recipe! This gluten free recipe is the epitome of simple, homey comfort food – and one of my family’s favourite things that we cook during the winter months.
Gluten Free Shepherd's Pie
Mashed Potato Topping
- 1 ¾ pounds yellow potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese optional
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 1 ½ pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen carrots small pieces
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce *gluten free
- ½ to ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch *gluten free
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- Add ground meat, onion and carrots to pan with oil/bacon fat.
- Fry over medium-high heat until the meat is browned.
- Add ground meat, onion, celery, and carrot to the pan with oil/bacon fat.
- Add frozen peas and cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Add gluten-free cornstarch (sub for sweet rice flour optional) as a thickener and stir to blend.
- Stir in tomato paste, gluten-free Worcestershire sauce, beef stock, thyme, and parsley.
- Cook until the mixture is thick and all vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Mashed Potato Layer
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Fill a large saucepan about half full with water.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Add potatoes to boiling water, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until tender.
- Drain completely.
- Mash potatoes with potato masher.
- Add butter and milk and mash until smooth.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese and chopped chives (optional).
- Spoon meat and vegetable mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the meat.
- Bake in heated oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
Recipe Tips & Notes
Adding a quick, healthy, delicious dinner to your families weekly gluten free meal plan is easy with this Gluten Free Shepherds Pie recipe. Customize with a variety of vegetables, meats and spices to fit all your dietary needs & wants.
Some would call this a “Cottage Pie” because we use beef instead of lamb, but we aren’t ones to argue with our Grandma’s! In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd’s pie is most often made with a ground lamb filling. The main difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie is the meat used. Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd’s pie is basically a casserole with layers of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven.
If you find you’re unable to find gluten free Worcestershire sauce, omit it from the recipe entirely and order online for next time! Many Worcestershire sauces are made with malt vinegar which contains gluten and we do not recommend taking that risk.
French’s Classic Worcestershire Sauce is a gluten free option that is a fermented condiment, that is savoury and sweet with a distinct tang provided by the vinegar. Great with steaks, burgers, and this Gluten Free Shepherds Pie recipe of course, plus so much more!