Ready to enjoy an authentic Canadian Poutine Gravy crafted by an actual Canadian? Being a true Canadian, turning the classic poutine gravy into a gluten free meal option was a must. Without the gravy, there is no poutine!
Enjoying gravies at holiday meals or with those classic french fries is now easier. Add this delicious side to all of your favourite meals, whenever you’d like!
Canadian Style Gluten Free Poutine Gravy
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2-3 cups chicken/beef broth/vegetable
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2-4 tablespoons cornstarch
- pepper to taste
- spices as desired
- In medium pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add gluten free flour and whisk to combine – a thick paste will form.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture turns lightly golden brown, about three minutes.
- Whisking constantly, add broth in a slow and steady stream.
- Contine whisking and cook until gravy thickens, about four minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a separate bowl & whisk with a fork until smooth.
- Add cornstarch slurry to gravy mixture gradually to thicken
- Continue whisking and bring gravy to a boil – reduce heat to low.
- Whisk poutine gravy occasionally while you prepare the french fries.
Recipe Tips & Notes
We recommend when making this gluten free recipe that the cornstarch slurry is added in gradually to thicken. Adjust spices as desired and customize for every dietary need.
Random Facts About Poutine!
Poutine is a dish born out of rural Quebec that consists of three key ingredients: crunchy fries that crisp in your mouth, squeaky cheese, layered throughout the crunchy fries and lathered with flavourful gravy.
Almost every Canadian loves a good poutine, and with this gluten free recipe, you can now make your very own authentic gluten free poutine gravies in the comforts of your home!
Which Gravy Mix is Gluten Free?
Don’t want to fuss with a from scratch gluten free gravy recipe? Can you get gluten-free gravy? The answer is, yes there is instant gravy mix that is gluten free. Check out these available packaged Gluten Free Gravy options!