Ready to enjoy an authentic Canadian Poutine Gravy crafted by an actual Canadian? Being a true Canadian, turning the classic poutine gravy into a gluten free meal option was a must. Without the gravy, there is no poutine!
Enjoying gravies at holiday meals or with those classic french fries is now easier. Add this delicious side to all of your favourite meals, whenever you’d like!
Don’t want to fuss with from scratch? Check out these available packaged Gluten Free Gravy options!
Canadian Style Gluten Free Poutine Gravy
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2-3 cups chicken/beef broth
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2-4 tablespoons cornstarch
- pepper to taste
- spices as desired
- In medium pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and whisk to combine - a thick paste will form.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture turns lightly golden brown, about three minutes.
- Whisking constantly, add chicken/beef broth in a slow and steady stream.
- Cook until gravy thickens, about four minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a separate bowl & whisk with a fork until smooth.
- Add cornstarch slurry to gravy mixture gradually to thicken
- Continue whisking and bring gravy to a boil - reduce heat to low.
- Whisk gravy occasionally while you prepare the french fries.
We recommend when making this gluten free recipe that the cornstarch slurry is added in gradually to thicken. Adjust spices as desired and customize for every dietary need.
Facts About Poutine!
Poutine is a dish born out of rural Quebec that consists of three key ingredients: crunchy fries that crisp in your mouth, squeaky cheese, layered throughout the crunchy fries and lathered with flavourful gravy.
Every Canadian loves a good poutine, and with this gluten free recipe, you can now make your very own authentic poutine gravies in the comforts of your home!