Classic Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion (cut into large pieces)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and cut into large pieces)
- 2 stalks celery (cut into large pieces)
- 1/2 lb. baby potatoes (quartered)
- 1 head garlic (halved)
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh thyme/rosemary
- Pat chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Secure legs together and tuck wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Fill a 9"-x-13" baking dish with chopped onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and garlic and toss together with oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Place chicken on top.
- Brush chicken all over with melted butter and stuff cavity with lemon and most of the thyme, reserving a couple sprigs for garnish.
- Roast until juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the thigh reads 165°, 50 minutes to 1 hour depending on weight of chicken.
- Tent chicken with foil and let rest 15 to 20 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board and carve.