Gluten Free Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (exclude if GF flour blend contains)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- lukewarm water (as needed)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and whisk to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, blend butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Combine wet with dry mixture.
- Add water by the half-teaspoonful and mix it in as necessary to bring the dough together.
- Chill for an hour or overnight.
Forming Cut-Out Cookies
- Place the plain dough between two sheets of unbleached parchment paper and roll out the dough about 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thick.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and cut out shapes using a floured cookie cutter.
- Transfer the rounds to the prepared baking sheet, placing them about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the preheated oven and bake until lightly golden brown on the edges and firm to the touch (about 12 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet before serving.